The results of the 2017 Ulcerative Colitis Flare survey are here. Thank you to all 776 participants who spent some time filling in their answers. It is much appreciated. At the end of the page, I have listed all the people who have submitted their pictures along with their individual answers. As you will see in the survey results, there are several PDF files you can download to review the complete list of answers for a few of the questions too.
The goal of this survey was to learn from other people who have UC, especially regarding the process of what they believe triggers their flare up(s), and HOW people cope with flare ups. There are hundreds of amazing answers below for you to read whenever you like.
Question 1: Please confirm that you have been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.
- 97% (750 participants) answered YES
- 3% (23 participants) answered I agree and I have also had my colon removed
- .1% ( 3 participants) answered, Nope, I DON’t agree, and I’m not sure why I’m taking this survey.
Question 2: I have also experienced at least 1 “active flare up” AFTER being diagnosed with UC.
- 97% (753 participants) answered I agree
- 3% (23 participants) answered Nope, I’ve never experienced an “active flare up” since I was diagnosed with UC. I sure hope this continues. (If you check this box off, we will assume that you’ve found remission after your initial diagnosis and active symptoms have never returned OR that you have had surgery.
Question 3: Do you ever have false starts? (you think you’re starting a flare but you’re really not)
- 47% (368 participants) answered YES
- 30% (233 participants) answered NO
- 25% (175 participants) answered NOT SURE
Question 4: What do you think TRIGGERS your UC flares? Is it always the same thing, or do different things trigger your colitis flares?
This question has individual answers by all participants. The answers are all within the PDF file here, for easy viewing. Click Here to View – Triggers for Ulcerative Colitis Flares Survey Responses
Question 5: How do you know you have entered a UC Flare? What starts to happen to your mind and/or body?
Similar to question 4, Question #5 has all individual responses. The answers are in this additional PDF file.
Question #6: How do you cope with and how have you brought yourself out of an Ulcerative Colitis flare?
And the final question, the PDF file with all the answers is here: 776 Responses on How to Bring Yourself Out of an Ulcerative Colitis Flare Up
Below are Individual Answers (for those who submitted their pictures, and the pictures are in no particular order. I’m not sure of the person’s name for the first picture below…but pretty darn funny you anonymous UC’er:))
——-And that folks, concludes the 2017 Ulcerative Colitis Flare survey.
Thank you very much again to the 776 people who participated, it is very much appreciated, and I very much apologize for the delay in getting all of this posted with each of the individual responses with the pictures for everyone who posted their pictures. It has taken me much longer than anticipated to get all of this up for absolutely no good reason.
I hope that you can learn a few things from other’s responses, and perhaps you will as well realize that there are some similarities with you and your ulcerative colitis and that of others.
Thank you again for being a part of the website,