So there you have it, and I hope that this helps some of you with some new ideas for mixing things up and getting an extra bit of help against keeping UC symptoms where they should be.
I think this is my fifth video of smoothie making…yikes right???…
But, the reality is that I treat my UC with diet modifications instead of medications, (well, I guess some would call tumeric a medication), and since I’ve been chowing on so many of these every week, they deserve some airtime…right?
Many of the UC’ers on the iHaveUC site have been using tumeric for ages to help with keeping colitis symptoms under wraps. In fact, there are a whole gang load of stories here that mention tumeric. Here’s a few:
- Angelica’s story from September 2012: How I Got Off Remicade with Powerful Herbs
- Irish Dee’s story from July 2012: Successfully Treating UC by Vitamins and Supplements Alone
- And here’s a study called: Herbal and Plant Therapy in Patients with IBD (from PubMed)
As for the smoothie recipe, here it is:
- Start with a nice blender (Cheap Blenders on Amazon.com)
- Squeeze 1 minneola tangelo (or some orange/s) into the blender for their juice
- Throw in a banana
- Add 8-10 frozen strawberries, less if your berries are huge
- Add in a small handful of frozen blueberries (of course if they aren’t frozen that’s fine too:)
- Add in an avocado (just the meaty stuff, not the big old nut)
- Add a half teaspoon of tumeric (Tumeric on Amazon.com)
- Add in a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (why this, read Grahm’s story here)
- Add in a tiny bit of water
- Start blending
- Oh…wait…add in a tablespoon or so of your favorite honey
- Blend a bit more
- Serve in your favorite glass (make is a see through glass so you can check your smoothies purplish color)
I hope you enjoy your smoothies, and let me know in the comments below your thoughts on Tumeric. I think it will help out quite a few of you with your poops, symptoms, and might fix up some other skin related problems you may have. Several UC’ers have mentioned over the years in emails that they have had some great benefits from tumeric with regards to adverse reactions to some of the anti-TNF medications that have effected their skin.
Enjoy your day, and thanks for being a part of the site.
Best to you all,
[box]**If you are in an active flare right now, I would skip the smoothies until you have the symptoms under control. Better would be to watch my Colitis Flare Beat Down Video, and check out those food options I discuss/used for that flare several years ago.[/box]
Update, hey, in February of 2016 there was a very interesting study published on the effects of Tumeric in rats with UC. Here is the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4763431/
So I like UC’ers. That’s been going on since 2009 I’d say.
I started site and the eNewsletter(you can join that below) shortly after being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in October of 2008 with severe pancolitis (when my whole colon was inflamed).
For me, it was a very rough start with severe symptoms. Getting bounced from medication to medication was not easy or too helpful. But, I did meet another UC’er, changes several parts of my diet, and of course the rest is history.
Leave a comment, ask a question, take advantage of our past experiences here, use the search boxes, they are your friends to0:)
Remember while using the site that:
UC symptoms and flare ups don’t last forever and no two people are the same.
You cool with that? good!
now get on our newsletter so we don’t forget about you.