Hello, my name is Jessica, I’m a teenager in highschool and I was just recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in May, 2012, but I have had these symptoms before stepping up and getting diagnosed for a long time…
I have never heard of this disease before, so I didn’t know what to think of it at first. I guess this disease can run in families which actually has me seriously thinking about when I grow up and my future family, I don’t know if i could live with myself if my children also had to go through with this disease knowing that it could be because I had it too. This could be just my mind making me crazy because I recently have totally changed personalities. My mom actually wants me to get a life coach because I’ve been really depressed, maybe from teh pills, maybe from the stress of knowing “I have a disease” maybe it’s a combination of both, I don’t know.
But back to the hospital, I met my new doctor that specializes in this stuff. And finally was let go from the horrible hospital (i hate hospitals) after a weeks stay. So, they put me on predisone I take 45mg a day right now and have been taking 50 for over a month before this week when they FINALLY dropped it down by one.Its giving me awful side effects.. my cheeks are so swollen, its making me gain a lot of weight, and it is making me get sick a lot.
This is staring to get a bit long so ill skip to my questions!
I’m really scared and have a lot of questions but i get so frustrated because every time I ask my doctor or search the question on the internet I NEVER get an answer.My doctor is awful he just rushes me in and out and never answers my questions! All I get are “everyone’s different” or I get yeah this is good to eat from a few websites, and the complete opposite from others.. UGH. anyways here are some:
– im getting really nervous over stupid things, stressed out and panic a lot.. before all this i was such a calm person and nothing bothered me! Is this normal? Should i see someone for help with this or just wait it out?
– Is it OKAY to eat dairy?!
all I eat is dairy.. I LOVE cheese, milk and everything dairy.. is it alright to have this stuff still?
What foods do i avoid?
everywhere I look it lists basically everything you could possibly eat so its really been no help.. I would imagine spicy food right? And im not really sure about what else to avoid (Im still having symptoms btw, I go to the bathroom about 5 times a day only have blood sometimes and my stomach gets an uncomfortable feeling that comes and goes throughout the day. These may seem mild but remember im on 45mg of steroids everyday soo yeah.. )
–Whats remission like? Can i eat anything i want again? (I have been avoid fast food and anything fried too ) am i ever going to only go to the bathroom once or twice a day again?
– Am i going to put on a lot of weight?
– Is green tea good to drink? ( i hate the taste but if it’ll help ill drink it, I’ve heard it could be good for the inflammation, but bad for the diarrhea soo.. any help would be good )
–is coffee okay?
– i know i asked about dairy, but specifically cream.. is ice cream or any cream okay because its much stronger than the regular 2 percent milk!
– how long does this first stage after being diagnosed usually last? I was diagnosed around may 6th, so its been over a month of taking the awful medicine, is there any timeline someone could give me or is it just gunna be a fun little waiting game..?
– If I figure out how to edit this later i’ll add more questions or fix up my story, I’ve been rushing this because I’ve got to get to bed because ive got to get up early for church tomorrow! So for now goodnight and thank you in advance for any information you can help me with :D
written by Jessica
Hello, my name is Jessica, Im a teenager in highschool and I was just recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in May, 2012, but I have had these symptoms before stepping up and getting diagnosed for a long time…