My name is Ahmed; I was diagnosed with UC almost 2 years ago at the age of 33. Never had any stomach/digestion issues of any kind my entire life, and no one else in my family has shown symptoms of UC.
I belong to Pakistan, Married 5 years ago and 3-yr old son. I have always been a very active and healthy guy. Due to working full time, the time for exercising obviously decreased a bit, but I’d say I have stayed in good shape for the most part.
The GI doctor preformed a colonoscopy in April 2012 which revealed that I had UC in my entire colon.
Some more about me:
By profession I’m a CG Generalist with a decade of experience in Multimedia Design and Motion Graphics. I love hill station journeys and believe that traveling satisfies all demands of a good hobby; it is absorbing education and refreshment to the mind, body and soul.
I also like to study religions and history. Moreover, watching movie is the way I usually collect knowledge from different majors.
Having UC has impacted my activities on several occasions.
My first flare up was controlled by steroid + Sulfasalazine therapy then I had been taking 2 Imuran + 4 Sulfasalazine for last 9 months while started a severe flare up which is not being controlled by 60 mg prednisolone + 2400 mg Masacol (per day) yet.
I still have mucus + blood per movement…. Movement frequency varies from 2 to 6 per day.
Some of my pictures:
My UC is Getting Worse Day by Day
Here are my questions:
- Flaxseed oil is helpful or not ?
- Any other helpful vitamins or oils ?
- What should I eat during a flare-up of ulcerative colitis symptoms ?
- Should I keep a diary of food and ulcerative colitis symptoms ?
- Should I change my diet because of ulcerative colitis ?
- Do I need to be concerned about nutritional deficiencies in my diet because of ulcerative colitis ?
- Are there other risks to ulcerative colitis ?
- What else can I do to improve my health with ulcerative colitis ?
- Is surgery an option ?
- In addition to diet changes, is there any need of supplements: Probiotics, B12, Fish oil. From what I’ve read, it sounds like there are a few others that have worked well for other people: Slippery Elm Bark Powder, VSL#3 probiotic, L-glutamine, LDN, to name a few. any help regarding it ?
- How do I know if I need surgery ?
- If I do need surgery, how do I know if I will be a candidate for a “pouch” ?
- Will stress make me sick ?
- What can I expect during remissions ?
- Does ulcerative colitis get worse over time ?
- Does diet control helps during severe flare ups ?
- Because I have inflammatory bowel disease, are my children at a greater risk for developing it ?
- What are the risks and benefits associated with this treatment plan ?
- What will I need to change in my daily routine ?
- What are my chances of developing colon cancer ?
- What’s my risk of developing other complications ?
- Will I still be able to have children ?
- Will I be able to live a normal life ?
- Is Oil Pulling Safe for Those with Ulcerative Colitis ?
- Green Tea Leaves and Coffee beans are favorable during a flare up ?
- Does smoking helps to reduce the amount of flare ups ?
written by Ahmed
submitted in the colitis venting area
I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis almost 2 years ago at the age of 33. Never had any stomach/digestion issues of any kind my entire life, and no one else in my family has shown symptoms of UC.