I have a nearly 16 yr old with UC. She was diagnosed at 8 yrs old. She is facing surgery.
Hi, i am writing about my teenage daughter who suffers badly from UC.
She was recently admitted to hospital again for 5 days this time to be put on fluid and steroid drips. Shes come home better but is now facing the deciision whether to have her full large bowel removed. Shes just had enough of the constant flare ups, tablets and missing school. It looks like she will nor be able to sit some exams in may because of her constant absences from school.
As a mother i am worried about the length of time shes been taking prednisolone which is now back up to 40mg.
She also takes Azathioprine, pentasa and omeprazole. I am at the end of my tether with all the worry. My daughter has confidence issues which i put down to her condition she doesnt have any friends at school or away from school this breaks my heart as she is the strongest mose beautiful person inside and out but shes putting weight on due to the steroids and is so self concious about it. I wondered if anybody else out there can give any advice for my daughter as she is looking at having a stoma. We had never heard of a stoma before until 4 days ago so we have had a lot of reading to do but think we are up to speed with the procedure but my daughter is a bit worried about the actual stoma not so much about the surgery or bag side of things. This is a hugh decision for anybody let alone a nearly 16 year old. I am trying my best to help her make an informed and the best decision for her but it is hard to step back and let her decide for herself.
Any experiences, advise or opinions would be much appreciated :)
written by Emma
My name is Emma. I have a nearly 16 yr old with UC. She was diagnosed at 8 yrs old. She is facing surgery. We live in Peterhead. Scotland