To be honest UC has so far changed me for the better. I am more humble, grateful and take myself and people around me more seriously. But am I grateful I have it, NO, not today when I sit here and try to decide if I am to take the meds the doc wants me to take or not (for the moment just asacol)… I have tried most of the meds (they don’t really work, do they) and have removed a large part of the large intestine (15 cm left) and struggle from time to time. What I would want/need is a doctor that would actually want to heal me.. But since I don’t have it I am trying to heal myself.
Two links I like are the following where they write about alternative additions to the meds:
I haven’t so far been able to try that much of alternative herbs/therapies to the meds but so far the list is:
– Yoga (Reduces stress – good for me)
– Acupuncture (Reduces stress – good for me)
– Turmic (Not sure it did anything but it reduces pain)
– Aloe Vera Juice (a mild laxative.. might work)
– Zink (Improves wound healing read it should be taken with B-vitamins)
– L-glutamine (Improved recovery of the body)
– Selenium (Good for the immune system)
– C-vitamin (Not for my UC specifically, but good for liver)
– lacto-fermented vegetables (This really works wonders for my poop)
– Probiotic tablets large range of bacteria (Haven’t seen a big improvement)
– 5-HTP (This is for increasing serotonin levels in the body and the intestines uses a lot of serotonin, I found that I got my appetite back when using this but I also got some side effects the first week I was trying a few pills and these I learned was the typical side effects you may get from serotonin )
– Coconut milk (Great to mix with hotwater those days when you need energy but don’t want to eat)
– Garlic (against yeast infections, might be a bit strong for the intestine)
– Melissa infusion (for a relaxative)
– Cats Claw (I like the taste of it, so i believe it is good for me)
– Mixture of chinese herbs (Not bad, maybe good)
And probably I am forgetting something.
I can write a bit about my diet which I follow quite strictly:
– At least three proper meals a day and make sure to get enough of calories and fluid.
– No sugar (sometimes a banana is ok but usually I avoid also fruit)
– A lot of vegetables
– Avoid flours, especially wheat
– Amount of proteins and fat should be quite high
– Try to incorporate a lot of beans, peas and lentils (believe the bacteria needs them, its a good prebiotic)
Also I want to find a way of not getting flare ups.. this time I could feel that my body was actually in a lot of stress but couldn’t take myself out of it… Thinking that a substance like Phosphatidylserine (reduces the body’s signal substance ACTH which in turn gives the signal to produce cortisol) or DHEA (I actually read some get better with this).
The reason why I am sick I believe comes from an induced stress (stress from toxins/heavy metals/life situation/earlier training to hard) level and I do believe that adrenal fatigue could be a important key in my UC.
Now I am curious on trying Boswellia Serrata and it would be great if anyone has any experience on it!
Where I’d Like to be in 1 Year: