Hi I am delighted to have come across this site. My husband has just been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in the last few weeks.
He started having diarrhea and bleeding from February.
He went to his GP doctor and a colonoscopy was organized.
We had to wait a few weeks for the scope, during this time my husband’s symptoms got worse. After the scope he was put on a course of antibiotics and pentasa (4 tablets twice daily). His review appointment with the hospital consultant was for three weeks following the scope.
A week after his scope his symptoms were still getting worse, no improvement. So I sent him back to his gp to maybe get his follow up appointment sooner. At this stage he had lost around two stone(about 28 pounds).
His doctor more or less asked him why was he with her and go back to his consultant in three weeks. My husband was in very bad pain, diarrhea and bleeding and very weak. She never even examined him. So I phoned his consultant’s secretary and got his follow up appointment for the following week. The consultants secretary was very understanding and helpful, very concerned. At this appointment my husband was admitted to hospital. He was so ill his consultant wanted him to go by ambulance to hospital. We where transferred to another consultant as the first one was taking some time off work due to illness. This new consultant I felt never took us serious. He kept my husband for one day and two nights in hospital and got some steroid injections. Not enough treatment I have been told since. He was discharged and I had him back at the hospital 3 days later. He had now lost almost 3 stone.
We were sent home and told to come back in 1 week. He was told he was ok.
At this point we changed hospitals, the earliest appointment I could get was for one week. During the next few days his symptoms got worse so we headed off to the emergency department and my husband was admitted. He has been in hospital now for 6 days on steroid injections. We have been told he is very sick. His colon is so severely ulcerated they had to stop the scope. He got a remicade infusion last night and we are waiting now to see if it works. So far it hasn’t. Surgeon told us he will have to have his colon removed if remicade hasn’t kicked in by Friday. So that’s my story I cannot believe his condition progressed to this over a few months. I would love to hear from anyone with similar experiences and how you coped. Thanks for reading.
written by Abby