I hope you like this video. I follow the SCD diet nearly 94.5% of the time, and its helped me a ton get past my previous ulcerative colitis symptoms. In-fact, its allowed me to get on with my life and be a relatively normal mammal once again. I’m sure some would disagree, but either way, here’s a video of a quick and easy meal that you can make up once you are on your way into the SCD diet.
And the best part is its SUPER CHEAP. I’m talking you can get a meal for 4 people for less than $10.00. If you do the math, that equals mucho cheapo. And big tasty too.
The ingredients I used are below as well as instructions. Enjoy the video, pretty much rated PG-13, one part is bleeeeped out thanks to my wife(who is not an ulcerative colitis patient, but an SCD diet’er by default)
You will need the following:
- 2-3 pounds of tomatillos (depends on which person you ask, the butcher at Chavez Market told me 2lbs, the checkout girl told me 3…)
- 3 pounds of pork butt, or another similar part of the piggy
- 6 serrano peppers (again, if you are a big gringo, you might want to use less, or more depending on your cahones)
- half an onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- some vegetable oil (not much needed) * This is NOT SCD Legit, but I use it anyways(Kat’s going to tell us the better alternative in the comments, i hope…:)
- a blender
- a big pot
- a sharp knife
- some salt
- and that’s about it
- Start Boiling water in big pot
- peal tomatillos and take out the part next to the stem (unless you are Czech and like that part)
- cut stem connector piece off serrano peppers
- put the above in the boiling water until tomatillos turn from their starting green to a more yellow green
- take everything out from above of the boiling water and put in a blender and let sit
- add a half onion and 1 clove of garlic to the blender(that has the serranos and tomatilios)
- blend for 15 seconds or until looks like a nice margarita (no need to blend for minutes, seconds should be good. You can have a little water from pot in there, no harm there)
- Cut up pork, trim it, and get into smaller cubish sized pieces
- Put a dabber of veggie oil in large pot and heat up
- Put pork pieces in large pot and cook/lightly brown for 3-4 minutes (best not to stir for at least a minute after droping into boil, it will feel like it sticks, but after it cooks, that will get better (my wife promises))
- Afterwards, put everything(the margarita concoction which is the tomatillos/serrano/garlic/onioin concoction and the pork into a large pot or slow cooker)
- Cook on low heat for 3-4 hours, or if in slow cooker cook on low for many hours (we are doing it for 8 hours )
- Actually, make sure to put some salt in when you add everything to the final pot, salt to taste
Side notes: The Mexican girl at the checkout counter who was super nice, asked why we didn’t put in any cilantro…so I am guessing that some people put some cilantro in somewhere along the lines.
If you have ulcerative colitis and are struggling with your symptoms and are feeling like you are all wacked out on medications that are getting you no-where, you are just like me about 16 months ago. I was running around to pharmacy after pharmacy for what felt like forever. I was even getting offers in the mail to switch my pharmacy and somehow I could get a $20 gift certificate… Strange how the pharmacies knew about my medications. But, it all can change. I’m living proof. And there are a ton of others. I choose diet. The SCD diet. I recommend watching the Gut Bacteria videos which are located in the SCIENCE section of this website to learn more about your gut bacteria and what some people think that plays in our disease.
Good luck with your cooking.
Some more pictures of the meal: