I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis about 11 years ago. It was very mild and when I experienced a flare, a short dose of mesasalamine suppositories would kick me back into remission. In March of 2013 I had my son and in June I started to experience the worse flare of my life. After battling it for 7 weeks I ended up in the hospital down 60+ pounds and on morphine. My GI started me on Remicade and its been a life (and colon) saver. My disease has gone from mild ulcerative Proctitis to moderate/severe UC. I am currently going for remicade every 8 weeks (800 mg/kg) and 150 mg of Imuran daily. I suffered a mild flare that began in August and have just stopped taking the salofalk suppositories as a scope and bloodwork indicate that I’m out of the woods. This disease has changed my life in the last year. I’m definitely a more anxious (some would say neurotic) person and I’m working hard every day to not let Ulcerative Colitis rule my life.
Some more background info:
I’m a mom to an amazing almost-two year old little man who is my whole world. I’m currently on disability and am grateful that I can stay home with him everyday.
Currently not experiencing too many symptoms other than occasional loose stools if I eat something that doesn’t agree with me. Normal BMs range from 1-3 a day right now as I’m not actively flaring.
Thinking about Baby Number 2
I have 2 questions…
First, is it possible to experience some symptoms without being in a flare (IE, having increased BMs or looser stools on a given day). Does that mean a small flare or just a bi-product of this disease?
Secondly, now that the mild flare has stopped, my husband and I are trying for baby number 2. I got clearance from my Dr at the beginning of October but we’ve waited a while longer until I felt comfortable. I am so excited to give my son a sibling and at the same time terrified of another massive flare either during pregnancy or post-partum. Does anyone know what the likelihood is approximately of experiencing a flare pp? Also because I’m on remicade and Imuran, if I do flare, can I expect it to be at least manageable (ie not have to go to the hospital)? My GI made it clear that I shouldn’t get pregnant until I was experiencing no symptoms to reduce the risk of flaring during a pregnancy but hasn’t given me much indication as to what to expect afterwards (and I’m a planner so I like to know these things). Also, the game plan is to stay on both medications throughout my next pregnancy as the risk of having issues if I come off them is much greater than the risk of staying on them.
My current medications include:
- Remicade 800 mg/kg once every 8 weeks
- Imuran 150 mg daily
- Salofalk Suppositories as needed
I have also made some recent dietary changes that have had a huge impact on how my gut feels on a daily basis including cutting out most gluten, all caffeine, all artificial sweetener and high fat/deep fried foods. In fact, since making these changes, my last blood draw shows that my active inflammation levels are almost non existent (lower than they’ve ever been post flare) so I know that making these changes has played a part.
During a Big Flare I Tried:
60 mg Prednisone daily
IV solumedrol (not sure of dosage)
An ER Dr also put me on Flagyll and Cipro (big mistake)
written by Ashley M
submitted in the colitis venting area