Hi Ulcerative Colitis People,
I know this might be very repetitive for some, but several weeks ago I dreamed I was a big drop of yogurt, and that is the reason for all of these yogurt posts from me lately. Actually, there is a much better reason for mixing yogurt with ulcerative colitis.
For those of you who have ulcerative colitis and follow the SCD diet or are interested in someday starting the SC diet to help treat your ulcerative colitis, one thing is for certain. Most people who have success with healing ulcerative colitis with SCD, make a big point to eat home made yogurt on a regular basis. The specific carbohydrate diet is all about fixing an imbalance in gut bacteria within the colon, and the yogurt helps to regulate and promote different types of bacteria that are trying to survive in our digestive tract.
Here are some quick and dirty instructions for making this super tasty yogurt:
- heat up the milk (I always use whole milk after trying with others like 2%)
- get the milk to 180 degrees (just about boiling, and then take it off the heat)
- make sure to be stirring the milk constantly so it doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pot
- cool the milk down to 105-110 degrees
- pour a tiny amount of the warm milk into another bowl and mix with a yogurt starter (you can use dannon plain yogurt, or a yogurt starter that you can buy from amazon or in a local health shop)
- you want to make sure not to use a yogurt starter that has the bifidus strain of bacteria as that one is not helpful to ulcerative colitis or crohn’s people according to the SCD plan of attack
- Once you have all the starter and milk mixed nicely, pour in the rest of the milk and mix it all together until it is all mixed in well.
- Pour the milk mixture into your yogurt containers that come with your yogurt machine
- turn on yogurt machine and let it cook for 24 hours
That is pretty much the process for making the yogurt. It is really that simple. If you want a step by step guide on how to make the yogurt and also a great guide on STARTING the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, you can look into this SCD Starter Guide.
Ulcerative colitis is our disease. There are tons of ways to treat it. If you are like me and want to try treating it with diet, then I would highly encourage others to incorporate the home made yogurt into your agenda. It’s really not that big of a deal to make. Come on, look at me in the video, you can pretty much hit your head with a baseball bat and still figure out how to make this stuff.