Free iHaveUC EBOOK Signup Form

Concerns with the New Delzicol

My name is Vin, I am 23 and have had mild Ulcerative Colitis for 3 years. I was put on Asacol , and recently switched to Delzicol due to the patent issues.

Some more about me:

I love sports.

Symptoms I be a dealing with:

currently in remission and experience little to no symptoms…

Concerns with the New Delzicol

I have been dealing with my colitis for about 3 years now. I was taking Asacol 3 times a day everyday until I recently switched to Delzicol. The Asacol worked perfectly for my lifestyle. Since I noticed my colitis symptoms at a very early stage, the Asacol did the trick for me. I was able to eat whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted and whenever I wanted. I was even able to go out and consume large amounts of alcohol without experiencing symptoms for anything longer than the next day. It was as if nothing was wrong. However if I stopped my meds for longer than about 4 days, symptoms would return, so I knew my remission was in thanks to Asacol.

If it weren’t for my switch to Delzicol I probably wouldn’t be writing this. Since switching to Delzicol my sensitivity to things like junk food and alcohol is much worse than before. If I were to have even a couple drinks I am flared up for at least a week. If I miss even one does a day its possible for me to feel symptoms returning rather quickly (while on Asacol I would forget doses all the time). And worst of all I am experiencing side effects. I am exhuasted, even after a full night sleep. I don’t sleep solid, and I have flu like symptoms. This has been going on for about 2 weeks, and I’m pretty certain it is the meds. Does anyone have any complaints/side effects/concerns with this new Delzicol? If it goes on much longer I am going to ask my G.I. about a switch.

Like I said earlier, when I was on Asacol it was as if nothing was wrong. No colitis symptoms, regular bowel movements, and no side effects. These Delzicol side effects really concern me.

Medications:

Asacol worked like a charm for my mild U.C. I have been on Delzicol for the last 1 1/2 months of my 3 year stint with U.C. I am already fed up and tired of the Delzicol and its side effects. Would love to be back on Asacol, or a generic equivalent.

written by Vin

48 Responses to “Concerns with the New Delzicol”

1. bevJuly 29, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

Hey Vin,

I’ve never heard of Delzicol. I’m going to read up on it on the web.

Why did you switch meds? Perhaps you should just go back on asacol?

Bev

• LindaSeptember 3, 2014 at 5:17 pm #

My husband has UC for 6 months he was on asacol until 1 month due to the cost he is taking delzicol and he stating noticing blood in his stool and also a bad burning pain in his chest. Well took the adive of taking the pill out of the capsule. And taking it without the capsule in two days it all stopped so what is being put into the capsule when it is being made. Interesting.
      Linda.

• Colitis PatientOctober 12, 2014 at 8:30 am #

So? You seem to want to have your cake and eat it, too.
      What? Yes… you want a medication to help you, but you either don’t want to take it properly and still have it be effective, and you don’t want to take care of your innards, but have the meds be more responsible than you are.

Take your meds properly
      Quit eating junk food and quit drinking!
      I have no side effects.

• Colitis PatientOctober 12, 2014 at 8:31 am #

I wasn’t talking to you-all, Linda and Bev, but the writer of this item.

• BevOctober 12, 2014 at 11:42 am #

Gotcha :)

2. Joe TJuly 29, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Sorry to come off as a nag, but if the Dr. does put you back on Asacol, be careful with the drinking. Asacol alone will raise your liver enzymes to dangerous levels. Add alcohol to the mix, and you’re just begging to damage your liver beyond repair. But I’m glad you’ve found a med. that helps manage your symptoms. Mesalamines like Asacol & Lialda were non factors for me. Eventually nothing worked & I opted for surgery.

3. GeorgeannJuly 29, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Hi Vin,
    I noticed that when I opened the Delzicol capsule, the tablet inside looked just like an Asacol tablet.
    I have no idea what that outer shell/capsule is made of. Could this be what’s making you feel worse?

Hope you feel better soon,
    Georgeann

4. KarenJuly 30, 2013 at 5:34 am #

I do well on Asacol HD 800 mg, maybe your doctor can switch u to that. They stopped making 400mg but still make 800 HD because patent is not out on it. At some point another drug company will likely make the 400 but in the meantime try the 800 only difference is it is time released and I only need 2 a day. It worked for me the same as it worked for you.

5. JosephAugust 1, 2013 at 7:09 am #

The drug manufacturer stuck the asacol pill inside a capsule so that they could make more money. Open the capsule, and you’ve got your old medication back.

I understand for-profit companies. My question is why isn’t a generic available?

We’d better see how we can get protected from price-gouging before we end up on the street.

Truly yours,
    Joseph

• bevAugust 2, 2013 at 10:17 am #

We actually do have a generic asacol here in Canada. Are you sure there isn’t one in the US? It’s about half the cost of asacol, and identical, right down to the rust brown hard to swallow little bullets.

Cheers

• LouAugust 9, 2013 at 7:42 am #

Hi, Joseph:

What you said is what I have been thinking. They “retired” the Asacol, and I checked Dezicol it is Asacol in capsules. Probably the trademark license(17 years) expired this year and the medication should be available in generics. If you have noticed Asacol and Delzicol have the same generic name “mesalizine / mesalamine”. Same dog with other collar.

6. VinAugust 12, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

Hey everybody, thanks alot for all the responses. SInce this post I actually took myself off the medication completely. I was having sore throats for days, and at night when I laid down, I wouldn’t be able to stop coughing. This was keeping me up for nights and it wasn’t getting any better. At that time I was already doing a little research into the SC diet and was trying to figure out what I actually would be able to eat if I were to go on it. I finally had enough of the constant coughing and took my self off my medication. Rather than switching to Asacol 800mg or Lialda, I decided to try the diet out and it’s working very well. I actually feel better than I’ve ever felt on the meds, my digestive system feels like it’s working the way it worked when I was a young kid, way before I was ever diagnosed. I am constantly amazed that it’s actually working and I don’t have to take my meds, it feels really good to be like that. I will say that the diet isn’t the easiest diet to follow. It requires a lot of time, money, and energy to cook your own meals. I can’t believe not one of my doctors suggested this, makes me start to believe in the whole “medicine companies are evil” thing.
    I too have also read and heard about the patent issues, and how Delzicol is essentially Asacol inside of an outer capsule that dissolves… but this didn’t answer my question of why I was experiencing side effects from the Delzicol but not from the Asacol. Could the outer capsule have an effect? Could mesalamine be building up in my system and effecting other parts of my body? OR Could it be the slight difference between Asacol and Delzicol? My guess is the later…when I first got the medication it came with a packet of info and I remember reading that certain ingredients in Asacol were not included when designing Delzicol, and those ingredients were replaced with something else, so there is an actually chemical difference between Asacol and Delzicol. Either way, all side effect have went away since I stoped taking the medicine.
    Joe T I hear ya with the drinking thing. I feel guilty every time I do it and really try not to do it much. Its what made my dads colitis really spiral out of control. Its probably not such a bad thing that I now have a really good reason not to drink. It keeps me out of trouble for the most part. And now that I am off the meds my liver should be a little be healthier.
    Thanks again for all of the comments and concerns, hope everyone is feeling well, Vin

• debbyFebruary 9, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

Hate the delzicol, bad side effects, mouth throat ane chest burn all the time, 3 weeks now, I have missed days off work, never feel 100% good, back to Doctor in 10 days, take me off this crap. Cost too much, too.

7. TraceyAugust 16, 2013 at 10:26 am #

Vin,

I have had ulcerative colitis for about 30 years, fine on asacol for many years, not fine on Delzicol. My symptoms are back after a very long remission! I’m with you Vin, not happy with delzicol, going to call my Gastro asap. Best of luck to you.

8. NikkiAugust 18, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Hi Vin,

I was also on Asacol and I did very well on that medication, really made me feel like I was back to normal. I made the bad choice of stopping my medication because I was feeling better. For about 2 months I was ok. Symptoms popped up so I went to get back on asacol. My pharmacist told me that they are not selling Asacol anymore that its been discontinued so they prescribed me Delizcol. I know that people are saying that its the same as Asacol. I am certain there is some sort of difference. I thought at first I was feeling better, now I find that I am 10x more exhausted, my trips to the bathroom more frequent, nausea worse, cramping worse and I genuinely don’t think its working for me. My flare is now at its worst. I think I could be just a really bad flare and maybe that’s why its not working? Not sure, but I do know for ME that Delizcol is not working. I am also looking into SCD. So many good reviews, I hope that your journey on SCD is successful.

9. AbeSeptember 2, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Have had UC for 13 1/2 years. Flares come and go despite being on meds. Flares started every six months and then went away in a week. progessively got worse when it moved to every 3 months a dthen took2-3 weeks to go away. Lialda caused a hospitalization for 4 days. Steriods got it under control. After 10 day taper, 6MP kept it under control for 2+ years. Then started to feel so so. Miracle drug was Remicade. Been on it for almost 3 years now. No flares. Yes, IV meds are annoying since you need them every 8 weeks, but nothing like feeling normal. Going on and off meds isn’t a good idea. Your flare will come back ad it will come back worse than the last one.

10. johnSeptember 7, 2013 at 9:31 am #

I have been taking Delzicol for 45 days after running out of Asacol….which I had taken for 8 years. I started having a few of the recogonized reactions: shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, excess itching. These symptoms appeared 2 hr. after ingestion and lasted about two hours. My wife works at a hospital and asked the pharmacist about the difference between the two drugs. The pharmacist spent her own time doing research and found that the only difference was in the plasticier….Asacol used dibutyl phalate and Delzicol uses dibutyl sebacate – which is an organic chemical. I removed the plastic capsule……which fells and shatters like acetate…..and began taking the tablet inside……..which is Asacol. After two days my reactions disappeared and have stayed gone.

• MicheleMay 11, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

I have been on asacol 400 mg for 7 years and remained in remission the entire time with no side affects. I started taking delzicol in February and have been in flare up ever since. I was given a steroid which didn’t help much either. This past week I decided to take my asacol again since I had a back up bottle left. Within four days the blood has stopped and I have regular stools. I can’t hardly believe it…I feel normal again! My doctor said he would prescribe the asacol hd – I am concerned that this will not have the same positive results as the 400 mg pill. I did notice you can purchase from Canadian pharmacies. Has anybody tried this?

• angelJune 20, 2014 at 5:54 pm #

has anyone experienced migraines while on this med? I started taking it a week ago and now I have sever migraines

11. bobSeptember 24, 2013 at 7:04 am #

Symptoms occurred in early April with the switch to Delzicol yet it never even occured to me that these two events could be related until last week. I had a flare with extreme symptoms which lasted from April to middle August, I was given prednisone and told to taper down from 40 mg. Each time I reached 20 mg unmanageable symptoms returned; blood, numerous bowel movements, gas, bloating, extreme abdominal discomfort and pain. Over this period I was told only to return to 40 mg and try again. The flare ended (coincidentally, or by effect) through switching to a liquid diet (fruit and soy smoothies) and not consuming lactose or gluten. I was then also given canasa and have since controlled crohn’s like symptoms. All this time I am taking delzicol, note that while extreme symptoms are gone (larger volumes of blood) I still have unmanageable amounts of gas and discomfort and stools are also irregular. This is completely new and unique since April and the time of the switch. Currently I do not consume milk or gluten as this really brings on more discomfort. I am really here to say that I am convinced that the occurrence of my symptoms at the time of the ascacol/delzicole switch is NOT a coincidence. I hope a generic asacol is on it’s way for all of us, at the moment I am experimenting with Delzicol by taking the 6 (400 mg each) pills without the plastic cover and all six pills at night instead of 3 in the morning and 3 at night. I will respond in 2 weeks as to what my current status is.

12. Lisa CalawayOctober 1, 2013 at 8:09 am #

I was told my daughter has Krones and she was taking Asacol and it was discountinued. She is taking Delzicol she is exhausted all the time and gain alot of wait. What else can she take without these side affects?

13. DebbieOctober 16, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

I was taking asacol for years with no problem. Canasa suppositories in a flare and they always help after just a few doses. Over the past five years I have tried living without any medication at all with on and off again success. I’ve had a flare for a while and decided to go back on the asacol only to discover it is discontinued. The doctor gave me this horrible medicine Delzicol. After only a few days the blood was worse, more frequent and urgent bowel movements. I didn’t realize it was the medicine and continued to take it thinking I have to give it more time. After a week the pounding headaches started, then the jitters, fatigue, back pain, pain in stomach, nausea, confusion, impatience and depression. I finally realized it was the medicine after about 2.5 weeks. I stopped taking the medicine last thursday, five days ago and I am still so sick. The bright globby blood and gas in the morning is horrible, worst then any flare I have had in the past. I went to the doctor and he told me not to take delzicol, he says it also causes bone loss. He put me on hydrocortisone suppository once at night 25 mg for a month a see what happens, thats it no pills. I have had five doses of the hydrocortisone and it has not helped at all. I called up the doctors office today and a different doctor told me to use one canasa suppository at night. Well, I am afraid, because it has the same active ingredient as the delzicol, mesalmine. My husband researched both medicines and he thinks the delzicol is absorbing into the body too quickly (asacol states they have a special delayed absorption in their medicine) instead of into the intenstines and that it is going throughout my whole body. He thinks thats why they put that outer capsule over the delzicol to slow down the absortion rate. Does this make sense? Also, how long does it take for these horrible delizcol side effects to stop? I am so sick. Thank you.

14. CarolynOctober 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

I loved Asacol. I hate Delzicol. I take Delzicol without the capsule cover and still I am miserable with gas, burping , bloating and a nauseated feeling all day. I have tried taking it with Zofram but it doesn’t help much. I hope I can get Asacol HD covered by my insurance. It is worth a try. If not I may have to buy it in Canada for $1,000 a year. I can’t believe no one in the USA has made the generic for the original tablets. A great drug that was changed so the company could make more money. My UC colitis has been in remission for years with Asacol and methotrexate injections. I also have UC colitis arthritis in remission. Thanks for letting me vent.

15. KristinaNovember 1, 2013 at 11:40 am #

This is the first time I’ve made a comment here. I love this site! Thank you for keeping it going. I was put on Delzicol in June after being on Asacol since diagnosis in 2005. I was pleased when I didn’t have my usual major Summer flare. I’m disturbed that I’ve put on a bunch of weight though. I’ve had no changes in lifestyle or diet. I run, do yoga and lift weights, have done so for 15 years. I can’t understand what happened other than lack of flares where I lose weight rapidly. I’m used to keeping a little weight buffer for the flare times because I can drop 10 pounds in nothing flat. I’m just down right chubby now – split out a pair of jeans a few weeks ago. Augghhh!! is anyone else having this problem?

• CarolynNovember 17, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

Weight gain yes! See my comment section.

16. CarolynNovember 17, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

I am off Delzicol! Yeah! I had lots of side effects: weight gain, reflux activated nightly, painful belching, and upper arm pain , bad constipation. I was miserable. Luckily my insurance covered Asacol HD which is just like the discontinued Asacol but in 3 doses per day depending on what strength your discontinued Asacol once was.The caplet is larger but a piece of cake to swallow compared to Delzicol which irritated my upper stomach. I can tolerate one glass of wine on occasion now or a beer. Could not drink any alcohol with Delzicol. I have my enzymes checked to be sure the one drink isn’t harmful to me. Wishing you all good health.

17. MartinNovember 19, 2013 at 10:30 am #

I have the same issues with Delzicol. I am switching back to Asacol 400mg. You can still buy it in Canada.

18. VinDecember 7, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Hey guys, I’m not surprised to see a lot of other people with the same concerns as me. Its very upsetting that so many people were feeling a lot of relief from Asacol, and they just took it away from us. A little update, I have been on the SCD Diet since this post and personally it is very hard to stick to. I work on the road driving a truck and am constantly eating out. I think I’ve tried every chicken ceasar salad on the north-east side of the U.S. Cooking every night at the end of a 12 hour work day is the last thing I want to do. The only thing thats motivated me to stick to it is the half used bottle of Delzicol in the cabinet, that hasn’t been touched since the first day of the diet. The diet DOES work. I think it is a great miracle for someone who is suffering severely, and is running out of options, which, lets face it, a lot of U.C. patients are. At this point in my life though I do not have the time, money, or patience to stick to it. I find myself cheating constantly, and also losing weight. I plan on calling up my G.I. and asking about Asacol HD. I really don’t want to do it, and I think at some point I will go back on the diet, because it feels healthier, but at this point in my life I can’t keep up with it. Everything is much to hectic. I would recommend everyone try the diet for at least a week or two, just to see how it feels, what you could possible eat during future flares, and the positive effects it has on your body. One huge thing I am taking from this is if there is ever a point where I am suffering from a bad flare in the future, I know exactly what to buy at the grocery store to make me feel better, which i didn’t know before the diet. Best of luck to everyone!

• PatriceMarch 2, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

Hey guys thanks for posting… I’m a Crohnny and have been on Asacol for 12 years or more. Late last year I tried Asacol HD and experienced many side effects and now on Delzicol with painful side effects as well. After reading the posts here, I opened a capsule of Delzicol and was reunited with my old faithful med Asacol. I believe the outer pink capsule is culprit for the pain I’m suffering now from Delzicol…I feel like I felt when I was first diagnosed having major stomach spasms and pain. I think I will try removing the outer pink capsule for each dose and see if I get some relief. I’ve never had any problems with Asacol and when I began to flare in the past I would increase my dosage(with my Doc’s approval) and felt better within days. I will let you all know if works, I will also consult with my doc for his thoughts. Wishing everyone well.

• Mary TJune 5, 2014 at 8:21 am #

I have a lot of unopened delzicol bottles. It was $$$$. Wish I knew someone in LA area that needed them!

• ricardo penaJuly 18, 2014 at 11:59 pm #

Hi Mary,

if you still have them and want to get rid of them let me know. I live in LA, i am currently on Delzicol and just got diagnosed with UC a week ago. I dont have insurance so its expensive. Let me know what you are looking to get for them. Thanks

19. ValerieDecember 9, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Had been on Asacol for 10 years, then had to switch to Delzicol cap (400 mg), 4 capsules, twice per day. My cost went from $100 for 3 months to $150. Last week, I received notice from my pharmacy that my insurance plan will no longer cover Delzicol and they said I need to switch to one of these: balsalazide, sulfasalazine, sulfasalazine delayed-release, Apriso, Lialda, or
    Pentasa. Has anyone else had to switch to one of these meds? For years, I thought there were no generic substitutes for Asacol, and now I get this list of 6! Have not talked to my gastroenterologist yet.

20. AlJanuary 12, 2014 at 8:12 pm #

I’m relieved to read that I’m not the only one suspecting that Delzicol can be harmful. I’ve also concluded that Canasa is the culprit for serious leg pain preventing me from sleeping. At this point I’m suspicious of both because I feel better since stopping both. Never had a problem with Asacol which I took for over ten years.

21. MorganJanuary 22, 2014 at 8:11 pm #

I’ve had ulcerative colitis since I was 7 years old and I’ve been taking Asacol 400 four times a day up until the switch to Delzicol. I have only been on Delzicol for a few days and I don’t think I have any side effects. I’m pretty tired but I also live a crazy lifestyle… I don’t like the change reguardless. Mine also have a horrendous taste to it that only lasts a few seconds. But taking it 4 times a day makes it dreadful. I’ve been in remission for 2 years now and haven’t had serious problems since I was 10. I do NOT want to leave remission… Hope Delzicol works well enough for me..

22. RobertFebruary 20, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

I too Vin have had to switch from asacol to delzicol . Didn’t see the correlation for being tired most of the time and changing to delzicol , until now ! If I miss my additional omeperzole , I have horrible acid reflux . It is all about the money and I have to strugle to pay for it . Going to ask my Dr. to change back to asacol which has kept me alive since 1998 ! If they stop making it I think a class action lawsuit is in order . Hope you all stay healthy .

23. sandieMarch 6, 2014 at 11:02 am #

All you need to do is remove the capsule, and then take the pill without the capsule. What you have inside the capsule is the old Asacol.

24. Pam RechulMarch 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm #

I have Collagenous Colitis, newly diagnosed with Ishchemic Colitis.
    I also was on Asacol for a long time. Now I was switched to Delzicol.
    Symptoms have worsened, more frequent flare-ups.
    Like all of the other comments I have read, I HATE Delzicol.
    I don’t think it works as well as Asacol. I am seriously going to investigate trying to purchase Asacol in Canada.

• PatriceMarch 8, 2014 at 4:44 am #

Delzicol has the Asacol caplet inside. I’m removing the pink capsule for each dose, I’m feeling a little better but not 100% yet.

25. Pam RechulMay 21, 2014 at 5:38 pm #

I DID check into getting Asacol in Canada.
    It gets pretty complicated. First of all, your U.S. prescription is NOT valid in Canada.
    I spoke to a pharmacy, and they can only fill prescriptions written by Canadian doctors, due to licensing issues.
    Therefore; you have to schedule an appointment with a Canadian doctor to get an Asacol prescription.
    From the reviews I personally read on the Internet, most of the Canadian Gastroenterologists, at least in the Windsor area, did NOT sound all that great. Not sure I would want to trust any of them.
    Has anyone else out there in UC land, from the U.S., had any good experiences in Canada, trying to obtain Asacol ??
    Please share info if you have had success.

Thanks,

Pam R.

26. Alicia ThomasJune 15, 2014 at 10:50 pm #

I started taking delzicol about 3 weeks ago and have been very tired and sleepy but couldn’t figure out why. Now I’m feeling nauseated and hearing loud bowel sounds with things that didn’t bother me before. I plan on talking to my GI doc about going back to asacol HD before I have a flare . I’m so glad I came across this site.

27. banjoezJune 25, 2014 at 11:00 am #

Switching to Delzicol from regular Asacol put me into a very bad flare after being in mild remission for 10 years. It only took a couple weeks on Delzicol to do this and the side effects were totally unexpected. Indigestion, heartburn, gas, cramping, diarrhea, sleeplessness, flu-like symptoms……you name it, Delzicol did it. Good old 400 mg Asacol had none of these side effects. Called my GI and he switched me to Asacol HD expecting that to calm things down but that has been mostly ineffective in controlling the colitis except that the horrible side effects of Delzicol have dissipated. This is total bullsh*t. I can’t believe big pharma is allowed to so blatantly play with people’s lives simply for pure greed. I hope whoever at WC made the decision to kill the possibility of generic Asacol gets UC and has to live with their crappy new medication,

28. SJJune 30, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

I was just put on Delzicol DR 400mg (1 capsule twice a day). I started this Friday night since Sunday I’m experiencing bad joint/muscle pain, mild sore throat, tiredness. I was never on Asacol but after reading about all the terrible side effects – I stopped taking it. I’m also on a low dose of Prednisone 5mg/day to help with my flare up plus other bodily inflammation I have. I was in the hospital in May with a bad infection and it seems my immune system is still wacky. I have severe pain throughout my body (this had been happening since I was in the hospital/before Delzicol). I was diagnosed with US in 1992 (I was 19) & put on Prednisone 20mg/X2 day & Sulfasalazine which my Gastro Doc says they don’t even prescribe that anymore. Well I achieved remission for years, minor flare ups in between but now at age 41, Dr’s say I had a lot of stress & trauma to my body which I’m still recovering from. They don’t seem to know what else is going on and I’m getting frustrated. I actually had a miscarriage which is partly why I was in the hospital in May, I had high fevers & a mystery rash & severe headaches. I think they thought I was just having a slower recovery from the surgery I needed (a D&C). …..So I guess I needed to vent and say I’m considering going back on Sulfasalazine. ..Although I think I that will be a challenge with my GD. Any thoughts anyone?

29. svoldrichJuly 23, 2014 at 7:47 am #

I hate delzicol. Was on asacol for years, could take it with anything, got into remission…. started taking it a year ago…. it started interfeering with the absorbtion of my synthroid…. it’s taken me this long to figure that out…. now I think that the delzicol itself isn’t being absorbed as well as the asacol was…. get to have a sigmoidscopy in a month to see if I’m out of remission…

Dr just says take all 6 pills at once, and stop worrying about taking it with stuff, just live life….. I’m not so sure…. I understand it’s the same drug, but asacol had the enteric coating that made it last to the colon…..

Seriously considering asking to be put on rowasa Instead…..

30. Martha SnyderAugust 22, 2014 at 8:42 am #

I can’t pinpoint the exact time pain in my right knee started but it was near the time I switched from Asacol to Delzicol, around Fall, 2013. This spring I also noticed some pain in both ankles. On vacation this summer I ran out of Delzicol and didn’t take it for 5 days. In a few days, I suddenly noticed my knee didn’t hurt. When I got back home and started taking Delzicol again, my right knee and both ankles started hurting again. I have an appointment to discuss with my gastroenterologist. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

31. Martha SnyderAugust 22, 2014 at 8:43 am #

forgot to check Notify me of followup

32. KabrinaSeptember 4, 2014 at 11:39 am #

I was diagnosed with severe UC in April, did a week long stint in the hospital. They put me on prednisone (40mg day) when I was in the hospital, then they put me on Sulfasalazine (alergic reaction). Symptoms have persisted with prednisone and have had horrible side effects. My GI requested Remicade infusions, but my insurance wont cover it unless I try other meds. So they put me on Imuran (Azathioprine- 50 mg 2X day). It makes me so sick. Yesterday I couldn’t make it into work due to a severe migraine and I was throwing up. Today, I got a call from my GI office telling me my insurance is making me start Delzicol with the Imuran, three 400mg pills 4x daily or something along with the Imuran and Prednisone. I’m worried about the side effects, I was reading that people who suffered alergic reactions to sulfasalazine are at a higher risk to suffering side effects from Delzicol. Doesn’t look like anyone here has had very good experiences with the stuff :( . I take Bentyl, that helps MAJORLY with the cramping.

33. Pam RechulSeptember 5, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

I have a comment reply for Kabrina.
    Kabrina indicates she had an allergic reaction to Sulfasalazine, and has been put on Delzicol. I cannot take any Sulfa meds because I also am allergic to them.
    I have been taken Delzicol since 2013 and have NOT had any allergic reactions or side effects. I used to take Asacol, but it is no longer available, so my doc switched me over to Delzicol.

• KabrinaOctober 12, 2014 at 8:41 pm #

Once I started the Delzicol I became severely itchy. I thought it was dry skin or something but its so bad ill itch my whole body for hours its miserable. So my GI stopped the Imuran on Thursday but my symptoms have improved since starting the Delzicol. She thinks my alergic reaction is from the Imuran so if my itching continues then I get back on the Imuran and taken off the delzicol. Still fighting my insurance to receive remicade infusions.