Join the iHaveUC.com FREE email list, and join over 15,000 other subscribers managing their lives with ulcerative colitis

A Newbie to Ulcerative Colitis at 71

Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis at 71

jack diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at 71

I’m a male 71 yeas old and was diagnosed with UC about 6 weeks ago! Previously I had occasional bleeding hemorrhoids for several years. About 1 year ago I had more frequent episodes with blood in my stool and mistakenly thought it to be the hemorrhoids, probably some denial there! Also I developed a strange back ache about 2 years ago which now seems to be directly related to the UC! About 2 months ago I experienced bloody diarrhea with cramping which would keep me on the toilet for hours at a time! I was prescribed Mesalamine 375mg 8 per day 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening. This has a quick effect in eliminating the symptoms within several days. However, I believe I’m having side effects, stomach cramps, headache in the temple area, and increased back ache and confused thinking. I’m going to start tomorrow on 1/2 doses per the doctor, hoping this will lessen the side effects. I would really appreciate other peoples stories with t his medication?

More about Jack:

I’m a retired Mechanical Engineer, now into photography, birds being my big passion as well as landscapes. I operated an on-line music business for about 10 years that was semi successful, but no longer in existence. I served 2 years in the Army during Viet Nam, and worked 30 years in engineering!

Colitis Symptoms:

My colon seems back to normal. BM’s are close to normal, no diarrhea, just what I think are side effects of the Mesalamine, stomach cramps, head aches, fuzzy thinking and back ache. These come and go and seems to come a couple hours after meals?

I’m of the opinion I’ve cause this condition by excessive anxiety which has greatly increased after the latest election and political atmosphere in this country! I’m working on meditation techniques aimed at sending healing vibes to the colon, reducing the amount of news and negativity coming from TV and internet. I’ve also started a new exercise program, bike riding which I feel I can maintain on a regular basis.

written by Jack Sutton

7 Responses to A Newbie to Ulcerative Colitis at 71

1. Bev June 11, 2017 at 1:58 pm #

Lol…I don’t mean to joke about UC, but can we now add ’45’ (donald trump) to the list of causes of UC?

2. Lorri June 11, 2017 at 3:35 pm #

JACK YOU HAVE THIS HALF LICKED BY YOUR EXCELLENT INSIGHT AND DOING VARIOUS NATURAL THINGS TO HEAL. I BET AFTER CUTTING THE MED DOWN YOUR SIDE EFFECTS WILL LESSEN GREATLY. I AM 63 AND FEEL BETTER SAME MED AS YOU WHEN I TOOMK 1 AT BREAKFAST LUNCH DINNER. IT TOOK ME SO MUCH LONGER TO REALIZE THE STRESS WAS MAKING ME 100XWORSE THAN I NEEDED TO BE. GIVE IT 3 MORE MONTHS AND YOU WILL BE FEELING GREAT, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND CANT WAIT TO HEAR THAT THINGS ARE IMPROVING.

3. Jack Sutton
    Jack Sutton June 11, 2017 at 6:08 pm #

Thanks so much for your input Lorri, that’s very encouraging! I’m now on the reduced dosage and feel the side effects may have lessened! I’m still confused about flare ups as opposed to chronic conditions. I suspect I’ve had UC for over 1 year but did not recognize it as such until recently when I lost weight and needed to be by a bathroom pretty much constantly! Have you been off the medication at all or take the meds on a regular basis? It’s scary to realize if the meds don’t work, or stop working, the consequences are very troubling! Stress can’t be good for anything and surly not good for the body or mind. I think my stress reduction plan is working, but diligence is necessary as outside stresses can blindside you! Thanks again for your input, and keep me updated on your situation?

4. Lorri June 12, 2017 at 2:58 am #

I STAY ON THE MED ALWAYS. FOR THE PAST YEAR JUST 1 AT NIGHT AND DOING GREAT. YES IT IS CONSIDERED CHRONIC UC BUT FOR PAST YEAR IT ONLY FLARES UP WHEN I EAT CRAZY OR ALLOW STRESS TO CONTROL ME. YOU DEFINATELY CAN CONTROL UC AND WORK WITH ALL THE TOOLS YOU ALREADY HAVE IN PLACE! KEEP GOING !

5. Paul S
    Paul S June 12, 2017 at 7:43 am #

Jack,

I am 61 and have had UC for almost 20 years. I can’t give you any advice on the Mesalamine, as I am allergic to sulfa based drugs, but I can tell you that if for some reason the mesalamine doesn’t work (and it seems to be working very well for you) there are other alternatives. I was on Imuran for several years until about 2 years ago when it stopped working for me. I have now been on Humira for almost a year and it works pretty well for me. I can also tell you that I took up bike riding about 10 years ago and it has worked wonders for me, not just with UC, but it’s really helped keep me in good shape which my gastro agrees is a great help when I do get a bad flare. I used to be a runner, but as I’ve gotten older, the constant pounding was taking it’s toll.

In addition to meditation you might try yoga as well. A bit of the same principle, and you’re right, stress can be a factor for many of us. I’m trying to turn off the news and go for a walk in the woods with my dog instead.

Good luck.

6. Wendy June 12, 2017 at 1:49 pm #

Hi Jack.
    Thank you for sharing your story. Have you had your blood checked for iron deficiency? Before I was diagnosed i was feeling ‘fuzzy’ because of low iron caused by bleeding? I am on pentasa – but now I have a flare… sigh.

7. Jack Sutton
    Jack Sutton June 13, 2017 at 9:32 am #

Thanks Paul, that’s very encouraging, I’ll look into yoga as well, spiritual work is very important for sure! While plunking my guitar one day, I noticed I could feel the bass string vibration in my gut and thought why not throw sound therapy into the mix, certainly cant hurt? I found these binaural beats videos on YouTube and play them on my laptop while it’s resting on my stomach, I can feel the vibes inside me! So who knows, but I’ve decided to have a multi approach, exercise, meditation, medication, diet and whatever sounds possible!