Over 15 Years of Colitis:
I spent the first 7 years after my diagnosis, depressed and on various meds that didn’t control the disease and only made me feel worse. I decided to do my own research and try to control my UC in a more natural way.
I have been off all meds since 2004
and have been in remission
with only the odd mild flare up.
I wanted to share my remission maintenance plan with all of you and to thank Adam for this website. I wish it had been around when I was first diagnosed! (note: I am not suggesting that anyone else go off their meds – just wanted to share my story and what has worked for me)
1. Sugar – limit sugar in your diet and eliminate it completely during a flare
2. Soda/Pop – never drink the stuff
3. MSG – Avoid foods that contain Monosodium Glutamate
4. Aspartame (brand names NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure) – so bad for you for so many reasons
5. Antibiotics – never take them unless you absolutely have to. My worst flare ever was causes by taking them. They will kill off all of the beneficial bacteria in your intestines
6. Anti-inflammatory pain medications, commonly referred to as NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve) – never take these, us plain Tylenol instead. NSAIDs will stop your body from producing prostaglandin which helps line the stomach with a protective fluid (called gastric mucosa). I believe that taking too much of these can actually cause colitis
7. Processed foods
8. Smoked meats
9. If you can’t pronounce it – don’t eat it!
10. Meat tenderizers – don’t use them and don’t eat at restaurants that use them ( they contain an enzyme that breaks down meat fibers but they also break down you gut!)
1. Drink LOTS of water
2. Eat lots of natural, sugar free yogurt (without artificial sweeteners – use berries or honey to sweeten)
3. Take 1 tbsp of Flax Oil every morning
4. Take a probiotic supplement everyday
5. If you are not allergic to bee products, take 500 mg of Bee Propolis twice a day
6. Get plenty of sleep
7. Practice deep breathing and relaxation techniques
8. Eat as much all natural food as possible
9. Try to laugh every day
10. Stay positive!
written by Kathleen
submitted in the Colitis Venting Area